31 Mar STEMPilot is here to support you during the COVID-19 Crisis
Hello everyone, we hope you are all staying safe during this crisis. We know ties may be challenging for you right now and want to remind you that we are here to support you. Although the CT governor has placed an executive order that requires all nonessential businesses to close, we want you to know we understand not all states are reacting the same to this virus and there are still some dedicated teachers and staff working in the schools. The STEMPlot staff is doing it’s best to continue working on your orders while complying with the executive order, so we can keep our promise of getting your simulator to you on time and/or until all of this has passed.
If you have any questions or technical support needs, please email email@example.com with your question/concern and a phone number for her to contact you at.
Additionally, we would like to remind you to keep an eye out in the coming weeks for our new video series “Flying Through STEM” where we follow the lesson plans provided with your simulator and teach the important STEM concepts covered in aviation.
#stem #science #lessonplans #stemlearning #womeninstem
Until our videos are up, we would still like to share as many resources as we can to support the dedicated teachers and staff still working during all of this. Below you will find many activities, lessons, and forums that you can utilize for your remote teaching needs.
- Rube Goldberg Bar of Soap Video Challenge: Rube Goldberg Bar of Soap Video Challenge sponsored by NRG.
- NEW RESOURCES provided by ITEEA 2020 Keynoter, Astronaut Jeanette Epps
- Becoming Astronauts: Are you next? www.youtube.com/watch?v=
- How are we going to the moon? www.youtube.com/watch?v=_
- We are going to the Moon, to stay, by 2024. And this is how: www.youtube.com/watch?v=
- NASA STEM on the Station: www.nasa.gov/audience/
- NASA STEM Engagement: (for info on fellowships, internships and other student programs) www.nasa.gov/stem/
- Student Payload Opportunities:www.nasa.gov/audience/
- Becoming Astronauts: Are you next? www.youtube.com/watch?v=
- A Reminder that ITEEA Has Granted Open Access to its IdeaGarden Forum: IdeaGarden is a popular educator-to-educator resource for those wanting to know more about teaching Technology and Engineering Education for all students through an Integrative STEM Education approach. This online sharing of information is an optimal way to highlight your best practices in delivering Technology and Engineering Education. The professionals in our membership will be adding their expertise and responses to the questions posted in this area. Go to www.iteea.org/
- WhiteBox Learning is offering unrestricted access to all applications through the end of June. Please complete this form. https://www.flinnsci.com/athomescience/digital-learning-solutions/ < for more information
- Flinn At-Home More than 50 free at-home activities that students can use under parental supervision to keep their curiosity piqued.
- Flinn At-Home Free video labs with related teacher and student guides to help students continue making progress on key topics.
- Flinn Science Behind Series The Science Behind series connect science into context. Each topic contains FREE activities, fun videos, and a downloadable poster or infographic.
- Author of the long-time “Classroom Challenge” feature in Technology and Engineering Teacher, Harry Roman, has released a new publication titled, “The Big Book of STEM Classroom Challenges,” as a follow up to his “100+ Activities to Bring STEM to Life for Classrooms and Student Project Teams.”
- The Big Book of STEM Classroom Challenges – Book 1 The Big Book of STEM Classroom Challenges includes 100+ activities for classrooms and students project teams.
- The Big Book of STEM Classroom Challenges – Book 2 The Big Book of STEM Classroom Challenges includes 125+ activities for classrooms and students project teams.
- Teach Engineering Free STEM resources gathered from around the web. Resources are filtered by category. Digital Library Comprised of Standards-based Curricula for K-12.
- TRAILS (Teachers and Researchers Advancing Integrated Lessons in STEM) Lesson plans include handouts, step-by-step tutorials, and video training sessions.
- Franklin Museum #SparkofScience series showcase of science interpreters sharing experiments.
- CAD ad 3D software resources
- AutoDesk CAD software including AutoCAD, Revit, 3DS Max, Inventor, etc. available for free to educators and students
- Blender Free and open source 3D creation suite that supports modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, rendering, compositing, motion tracking, video editing, and game creation.
- Free CAD Free and open-source CAD parametric modeling program.
- Home By Me A free web 2.0 architectural design CAD program.
- Sculptris Free download of digital sculpting and 3D design software
- Sketchup 3D modeling program available for free to students and educators
- TinkerCAD Free download of a simple 3D CAD program available for free to students and educators.
- Wings 3D A free, open-source 3D modeling program available for free to students and educators
- Bridge Designer Bridge designer simulates real-life civil engineering challenges in the design and construction of a bridge available for free to students and educators.
- Discovery Education Network Discovery Education grade-band appropriate learning activity for every day of the week
- Engineering is Elementary Engineering is Elementary is a free curriculum for families to use at home.
- 3Dux Design The STEM show offers projects focused on simple machines, teaching, designing and creating.
- Verizon Innovation Learning Teacher/Parent Portal Offers free activities at home for grades 5-9. The portal offers lesson plans and student guidelines to support a variety of fun activities.
- Pitsco STEM at Home Collection of free STEM activities and publications for families to use at home
- The Science Spot Junk Box Wars is a library of ready-to-use STEM projects and challenges for students.
- Pitsco SySTEM Alert! SySTEM Alert! publication – Find everyday STEM, fast facts, trends, and related topics. Each issue includes a quiz and answer key.
- PLTW Gateway at Home Distance learning recommendations arranged by unit with description on how to adapt the PLTW Gateway unit activities, projects, and problems.
- Stop-Motion Animation Video A project where an object is moved a tiny bit and a photo is snapped. Repeat this process twenty to ten thousand times, play back the sequence in rapid progression, and the object appears to move fluidly across the screen.
- Paper Roller Coasters Project to reinforce Newton’s Laws of Motion through roller coaster physics. The objective is to have a marble take the GREATEST amount of time to get from the top of the first hill to where the coaster ends
- The Ruler Game Reading a ruler is a valuable skill that you will likely use on your job, in your hobbies, and in your personal everyday life. Without measuring devices like rulers (and people who can read them) we would still be living in caves!
- Engineering, Go For It! Free STEM resources gathered from around the web. Resources are filtered by category. Digital Library Comprised of Standards-based Curricula for K-12.
- Animated Engines Animated illustrations that explain the inner workings of a variety of steam, Stirling, and internal combustion engines
- Animated Polyhedron Models Resources for students to make and print models for studying and practice of Euler’s polyhedron formula.